[LMB] [OT yet?] Re: Language drift on Barrayar

Ron Conescu ronconescu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 15:46:10 BST 2019

More assimilation, from a different country:  My paternal family's original
(?) name was Cohen, a standard Jewish name.  Then Romania got anti-Semitic,
so my great-great-great-ish grandparents said:  "let's sound more
Romanian!" and added the "-escu" ("son of") ending to the name:  Cohen -->
Cohen-escu --> Conescu.  Europe continued to get anti-Semitic.  "Well, I
guess THAT didn't work…" and they got on a boat.  Ellis Island records show
them arriving in 1903.

Ron