[LMB] Misunderstanding beguilement

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 17:45:52 BST 2019

pouncer at aol.com wrote:
> Following up -- though I confess disappointment at lack of general comment --
> considering how you interpret Dag's groundwork on Copperhead, and whether
> then the horse is afterwards "beguiled"; how then do you suppose Dag left
> Aunt Natti?? That bit of groundwork/Lakewalker "magic" that matched his
> own optic nerves and the part of the brain that interprets sight with
> the parallel anatomy trapped behind Aunt Netti's cataracts ...
> Serious work.

We already know that beguilement doesn't happen when the Lakewalker
is open to receiving back that little ground exchange.  Natti was the
only member of Fawn's family who treated him positively, and whom Dag
felt comfortable with.  In that sea of negativity, she was the island.
It wouldn't be surprising if she wasn't beguiled.

But there's strong evidence that it didn't happen in the behaviour
of the family on Dag's return.  Neither Natti nor anyone else gave
any sign that anything "weird" had happened to Natti's feelings or
behaviour after Dag had left before.

Joel