[LMB] Criminals OT: (WAS:- Is Barr a rapist?)

Kevin Kennedy kevink45 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 19:18:26 BST 2019

________________________________
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, August 9, 2019 1:26 PM
To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [LMB] Criminals OT: (WAS:- Is Barr a rapist?)

Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> And it's a magic wand!  Walking sticks, I discovered, are fantastic!

> People get OUT OF YOUR WAY!!! And if they don't you 'accidently'
> poke them, and when they turn around, frowning, they see the
> stick, apologise, and get out of the way!!!

It's less than wonderful when well-meaning people insist on being
hlepful, against one's stated wishes.  The incident in Jo Walton's
_Among Others_, with the woman yelling at Mor that if she just
stopped using the cane, she wouldn't need it, was drawn from Jo's
own experience.

Joel
--
I use a walker. A couple of years ago, I was on my way to work, it was still dark,  With no warning, a strange guy behind me grabbed my arm to 'help' me get on the bus. I about decked him. I did blister his ears. The bus driver told me to calm down. I told her to say that again after a strange man grabs HER in the dark, with no warning.  It did scare me.