[LMB] OT: Language

Ron Conescu ronconescu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 20:27:33 BST 2019

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 12:22 PM Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fetal rabbits were classified as fish because they never breathed air.
> IIRC, some orders that were particularly strict about fasting would have
> had monks dying of malnutrition if they hadn't included so many
> "exceptions".

…which makes me wonder that policy evolved from experience. I've heard the
same about wooden Japanese practice swords:  they didn't used to be wooden
— they simply ran out of people they were willing to kill during sword
practice.  (Some quick Googling leaves me unable to prove this, though.  I
heard it in various martial-arts classes.)

Ron