[LMB] [LISTBIZ] What's the policy on pizza being called on a discussion that isn't happening?

Katrina Knight kknight at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 9 21:24:36 BST 2019

At 03:38 PM 8/9/2019 Lorelei Kaena wrote:
>  Do continuing slurs and bigotry rate Pizza?

 From the list's FAQ:

"A call of "Pizza?" indicates that the caller felt the language
in a post or posts was becoming inflammatory. Note that pizza is
not to be called on a subject preemptively (as in, "I think this
is a dangerous subject to discuss"). The actual language being
used must be getting heated, or loaded so that a heated exchange
seems likely, or headed flameward. A post which includes a pizza
call should be so noted in the subject line, in addition to the
current subject. Pizza requests should not include content about
the subject, just the elements (a) this is a pizza call, and (b)
a neutral naming of the topic or a repeat of the problem
thread's subject line, if that uniquely identifies it.

If three people call for pizza on a thread, list discussion of
it should cease immediately. Remember, however, that e-mail
arrives erratically and some people read the list in digest
format, so a few posts may arrive after three calls for pizza
are made."

It seems clear to me that intentional slurs and bigotry should
count as being inflammatory.

My personal answer to the question of whether calling pizza is
the right choice is "maybe". If it is one person doing it in the
middle of an otherwise okay conversation, doing whatever your
mail client's answer for kill-filing the offender is seems like
the best choice to me. I don't think valid conversations should
have to end because a single person can't behave. If the
conversation has been reduced to the level of name-calling by
multiple people, I think calling pizza is a good choice,
particularly if no reasonable conversation is taking place
and/or it is all off-topic.

I find lists like this one to be much better if I don't have to
see posts from people who repeatedly misbehave and have
kill-filed multiple people over the years. Almost all mail
clients have some method for automatically deleting messages
from certain people. If no one reads or responds to the trolls
and other misbehavers, sometimes they decide to go look for
attention elsewhere. If not, at least I personally don't have to
see their posts.

--
Katrina Knight
kknight at fastmail.fm