[LMB] Abusive animal relationships

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 02:20:52 BST 2019

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019, 4:22 PM Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:

> Has anyone noticed how often our relationships with our pets and animals
> resemble abusive human relationships?
>
> "She only bites me because she loves me."
>
> "I only get nipped on the nose when I don't feed her quickly enough."
>
> "It's really my fault. I shouldn't wiggle my toes in front of her claws.
> She can't help herself."

Well, that's just the thing. Someone excusing an abusive partner does so by
saying they can't help themself. Whereas animals, being animals, don't have
the capacity to fully understand human norms and thus truly can't help
themselves.

…Except for certain cats, of course, who know exactly what they're doing.

Luke