[LMB] Language drift on Barrayar

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Aug 10 02:30:43 BST 2019

On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 09:35:02 +0100, "James M. BRYANT G4CLF"
<james at jbryant.eu> wrote:

>Sylvia mentioned that in the period after WWI people petitioned
>the courts to change their name to something more American, less
>foreign.
>
>In England in the 1920s forms often asked if you had changed
>your name (excluding Jews from golf clubs persisted as a common,
>and explicit, practice until the fifties and even the sixties).
>
>It became common for Mr Rosenberg to change his name to Smellie
>(which is a genuine, though not common, English surname) or
>something equally English and obnoxious and then, six months
>later, change it again to MacDonald so that he could answer
>any name change question honestly, and with an obvious reason
>why he had wished to do so.

It's worth noting that in England and Wales (not sure about Scotland, as
it has a separate legal system) you can legally change your name just by
doing so, as long as there is no intent to defraud or mislead.

A slightly more formal method is to engage a solicitor or notary to
create a Deed Poll, of which you would then get a fuck-ton of notarised
copies (it makes it easier persuading people like utility companies and
the passport office, but strictly speaking, it's not a legal
requirement).

There are only exceptional circumstances where the courts are involved
(and offhand, I can't remember what the reasons are).
--
The best course of action is one far too many companies seem
only able to recognize in hindsight: don't screw over your