[LMB] Language drift on Barrayar

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Aug 10 02:33:17 BST 2019

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 08:52:20 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>Another issue is how isolated people were.   At one time, 20 miles in England was culturally a bigger gap than all the way across America is now,

Still is, in some places.

>and they could hear the difference in speech.

Still can, in some places.

While we are significantly smaller than the USA (about the size of
Oregon, in fact), we have around 20% of your population. As the saying
goes: "In Britain, 100 miles is a long way.  In America, 100 years is a
long time."
--
If man could once be reasonable enough to know that he is not a creature
of reason, but only a reasoning creature, he might avoid making himself