[LMB] Criminals OT: (WAS:- Is Barr a rapist?)

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 10 04:12:32 BST 2019

From: Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>

On 8/9/19 11:26 AM, Joel Polowin wrote:
> It's less than wonderful when well-meaning people insist on being
> hlepful, against one's stated wishes.  The incident in Jo Walton's
> _Among Others_, with the woman yelling at Mor that if she just
> stopped using the cane, she wouldn't need it, was drawn from Jo's
> own experience.

Physical therapists *do* often find people who, if they'd only put in
the effort and weight training, etc, wouldn't need an assistive device.

Gwynne: Before the knee op I did all the physio and hydrotherapy,
without fail. I had way more movement in the knee right after the
op than they expected, due to all the work I did before. I've done
all the exercises, etc.

The walking stick wasn't for mobility. When I was a baby an ear
infection damaged my middle ears, the bit that controls balance.
It's why I get seriously bad motion-sickness. Balance is also
controlled by nerves in the ankles that send messages to the brain
about level/unlevel ground, angle of the body, etc. And over the
years I've achieved some serious ankle injuries (one of them
needed an operation, which was when I discovered I'm allergic
to anaesthetic. Ahh, happy days.) My ankles no longer participate
in the whole balance issue.

I did a lot of physio work on balance, until he told me to stop. I'm
ok if I can touch something. Just a single fingertip touching a wall,
and I'm fine. Level surfaces, I'm fine. Broken ground, any kind of
heights... it can get difficult. I can be standing still and lose my
balance. It's a gift.

So the walking stick was mainly for balance, especially because
in most of Europe they apparently never conquered the complex
technology of the handrail. Have you ever climbed up to the
Parthanon? All those steps, mostly marble - which is delightfully
slippery after rain - and no damn handrails. Hey, Greece, you
were the cradle of modern civilisation and you never figured
it out? Sheesh.