[LMB] [LISTBIZ] What's the policy on pizza being called on a discussion that isn't happening?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 10 04:46:13 BST 2019

From: Lorelei Kaena <lorelei.kaena at gmail.com>

How can I put this in a way you?ll understand?
Is this calling pizza preemptively? A hypothetical:
Imagine there?s a book series you love that has had representations of you since the beginning, when it was extremely controversial to do so. They do not kill or even have a bad ending for said characters! They?re portrayed, for once, as loving, decent people who aren?t primarily a movie villain/magic user.
But there?s a popular list you?ve been on for over 10 years that you had to stop being active in, because a very few people kept using the n-word, uncensored, and no one else said anything. You tried a few times, but were told you were just a bit sensitive.
One of those users being temp-banned for spamming nonsense was when you went to lurking more and more.
You keep coming back, hoping, because times they are a?changing in some ways, but nothing has changed.
Do continuing slurs and bigotry rate Pizza?

Gwynne: I understand that it would be painful to have to deal with
constant slurs on something that's a very sensitive and important
issue for you. And especially when others ignore your requests, and
seem to deliberately behave offensively.

Sometimes the problem is that other posters don't know exactly what
falls into the danger zone, which is due to ignorance of the issues. And
it's not always easy to find out: at one point, when I was trying to
understand better so that I wouldn't say the wrong thing, I asked a
simple question - no emotions attached - genuinely seeking knowledge.
I was given a very patronising response that I shouldn't have asked,
because anyone who happened to stumble onto that board and who
was affected by that issue might - just MIGHT - be offended.  I didn't
ask anything more, and it really turned me away from trying to
understand, or even care, for a while.

I like the discussions here that inform me about issues that are
outside my experience, and help me to understand what is and
isn't a trigger, or would give distress to someone.

Maybe we need something less lumpy than pizza, just a warning
buzzer that the conversation is drifting towards distressing areas.
If it's possible to explain briefly why it's a problem, that would help
to avoid similar problems next time.