[LMB] OT: Pratchett's Final Works (Was: Re: I'm misunderstanding beguilement?)nt?

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Aug 11 20:27:29 BST 2019

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
> I think what the last four books missed most of all was another few months
> of brushing up and sanding away the rough edges.
>
> There was just _no time_, and everyone knew it, from Sir PTerry to the
> publishers to the fans.

I think that's a good way of putting it -- since he couldn't read easily,
it must have been much more difficult for him to polish and rethink the
books.

This study comes to much the same conclusion:
https://studentwork.prattsi.org/dh/2016/05/08/were-terry-pratchetts-final-works-affected-by-alzheimers-disease-an-analysis-into-vocabulary-trends-within-the-discworld-series-post-diagnosis/

"From my data, I conclude that PCA did not have a significant effect on
Terry Pratchett's vocabulary usage up the last day of his writing. The
criterion of a progressive negative trend did not emerge in the data;
rather the opposite occurred, where it seems as though Pratchett got more
verbose as time, and his condition, advanced. Generally, by the end of the
graph, we can see both his higher word type novels and his lower word type
novels get higher, and so, based on the data, there should be no question
of the non-existence of the effect so visible in both Iris Murdoch's and
Agatha Christie's writing. Terry Pratchett's atypical form of Alzheimer's
disease did not affect his ability to express himself through his choice
of words. Also supporting this, his use of vague words were negligible,
with the largest ratio of these words to the 75,000 accounted for in any
of his novels was .00676. Christie's highest, her last work, peaked at
.0123,with a strong upward rise beforehand."

But I have a question: can anyone point me to an up-to-date chronological
list of Pratchett's books? Because I couldn't tell what you meant by his
last four books - he published far more than Discworld in his last few
years, and I can't find a list that includes those.

Can anyone help?

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.
-- Toni Morrison