[LMB] OT: California drop bear - an invasive species?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 12 12:22:21 BST 2019

From: "Parish, James" <jparish at siue.edu>

Sharon Micenko wrote:
> Well, they do have Eucalyptus plantations in California. The bear probably had an overdose of the stuff...

Not just plantations. When I was at UCSB (admittedly, forty-plus years
ago) every walkway and bikeway was lined with eucalyptus. The little
nuts they dropped were dangerous to pedestrians, bikers, and car hoods.
Jim Parish

Gwynne: One of the greatest joys of eucalypts is that they drop things. Not
like deciduous trees, that just go FWUMP! once a year and drop the lot. No,
gum trees drop leaves all year round. And those leaves stain anything they lie
on - paths, verandahs, etc. Plus the gumnuts, which are a delight as they try
to trip you up.

But the most fun is the branches. Some gum trees will drop branches. Any time.
They don't do something obvious like waiting for a storm, oh no, they just stand
there and.... THUMP. Another one down. (On a sad and serious note, every year
a camper or two will be camped under a handy tree and killed by a falling branch
in the middle of a clear, quiet night.)

See, our trees have attitude.