[LMB] Criminals OT: (WAS:- Is Barr a rapist?)

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Aug 13 13:37:49 BST 2019

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 01:37:36 +0000, Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
>On 8/9/19 11:26 AM, Joel Polowin wrote:
>>> It's less than wonderful when well-meaning people insist on being
>>> hlepful, against one's stated wishes.  The incident in Jo Walton's
>>> _Among Others_, with the woman yelling at Mor that if she just
>>> stopped using the cane, she wouldn't need it, was drawn from Jo's
>>> own experience.
>
>> Physical therapists *do* often find people who, if they'd only put in
>> the effort and weight training, etc, wouldn't need an assistive device.
>
>Random people on the street accosting strangers, not so much.

A friend of mine is a larger lady (though she's remarkably fit, you
should see her dance).

A complete random came up to her in the street and said: "You'd be quite
pretty if you lost some weight."

She replied: "You'd be quite handsome without the broken nose."

Him: "I don't have a broken nose."

Her: "Keep talking...."
--
"If Elves are plural of Elvis the plot of eg. Lord of the Rings changes
quite drastically. Perhaps I should try to read it again with these new