[LMB] OT: California drop bear - an invasive species?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 13 16:08:52 BST 2019

From: Batwrangler <batwrangler at gmail.com>

> Gwynne: You forgot the insects and the arachnids.

Insects and arachnids fall under "animals" -- what I want to know is does
the water kill you sans large reptiles? I know there are sulfuric hot
springs in the US that kill, as well as toxic algae blooms, so I'm not
expecting anything less from down under!

Gwynne: Oh no, it's subtler than that. Killing you with poisoned water is
way too easy. In Australia you perish for the lack of water. It's slower, and
more miserable. There used to be a whole section of the school
curriculum devoted to the (few) triumphs and (awful) deaths of the early
European explorers.

I don't think most non-Aussies realise just how MUCH of our continent is
rather unwelcoming desert.