[LMB] Death magic, was: What makes a character irredeemable?

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Tue Aug 13 17:52:47 BST 2019

> On Jul 26, 2019, at 2:34 PM, Royce Day <mailto:sirtalen at gmail.com> wrote:
> That said, it's important to remember that Dondo got taken up by the
> Bastard due to the delayed Death Magic that Cazaril performed. It's a
> little ambiguous as to whether a properly performed Death Magic ritual wil
> just work automatically, or the Bastard ignores the plea if the target
> isn't awful enough in His opinion.
>
> -Royce in MD

---- On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 09:39:03 -0700 WalterStuartBushell <mailto:proto at panix.com> wrote ----

I doubt the Bastard does anything mechanically. I imagine there are plenty of
Death Magic rituals done perfectly without results.

Beatrice Otter:

I don't think it's ambiguous at all.  Remember that the wool merchant had a whole notebook full of unsuccessful, elaborate experiments.  The final thing that worked for both him and Caz?  Killing the rat and crow, and praying for help.  And remember that Umegat points out that what the Bastard grants is not "death magic" but rather a *miracle* of *justice*.  Miracles can't be bought or forced; they are gifts of the gods, and come sparingly.  Magic rituals can work on the vending machine principle (do the right action, get precisely what you want) but miracles don't.  I would expect that in order to have a miracle of justice, killing the rat and crow and praying to the Bastard are necessary, but not sufficient.  The Bastard also has to go "yes, this person should die for their crimes; yes, it is worth killing this other person to make it so; no, there is no possibility of the Father's justice taking care of this, there's no other recourse for justice."  Which is why they're so rare.  It's not enough to want someone dead or think they deserve it and be willing to die yourself to see it done (there are plenty of disturbed people who would probably find that an acceptable trade, regardless of what any objective interpretation of the situation would find).  The Bastard has to agree and take action.

Beatrice Otter