[LMB] What makes a character irredeemable?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Aug 13 18:39:21 BST 2019

On 8/13/19 10:57 AM, Matthew George wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:39 PM WalterStuartBushell <proto at panix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I doubt the Bastard does anything mechanically. I imagine there are plenty
>> of
>> Death Magic rituals done perfectly without results.
>>

> If the ritual works because of the assent of a paranatural being, it's
> theurgy.  If it compels the being, it's magic (probably sorcery, although
> the technical distinctions aren't quite in my ken).  Magic contradicts the
> themes of the 5GW - although from a Watsonian perspective it can't be ruled
> out, the Doylesian view doesn't really permit it.

For some reason this made me think about "black magic."

When someone wants some supernatural thing that they know is wrong but
they want it anyway, they know it is useless to pray to Jesus, or the
light-aspect Wiccan Powers. (I don't know too much about it so forgive
me for my confusion on some things.)

So they might turn to Satanism, if Christian. If they want an enemy
destroyed so badly that they are willing to give up their eternal soul,
well, that's pretty black and evil.

I believe Wiccans have dark aspects they can approach with a prayer, or
more usually ask to stay far, far away. They have the three-fold return
rule which especially applies to evil. But what if someone really wants
it anyway?

If the Light won't give it to you, there's usually some entity that
will, for a high enough price.

In the 5GW are there dark aspects of the Five Gods? The Bastard does
have one, if you're Quadrene. Is there the Dark Son, heedless and cruel,
using force to take what he wants? The Dark Mother, killing children in
winter. The Dark Daughter, faithless seducer and destroyer of men,
pitting one against the other just to watch the fireworks.

--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil