[LMB] What makes a character irredeemable?

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 06:47:18 BST 2019

On Aug 13, 2019, at 9:11 PM, Beatrice Otter <beatrice_otter at zoho.com> wrote:

>Point of order, I know very little about Satanism, but I'm pretty sure
>Satanists don't believe that Satan is evil; they think God is. A Christian
>turning to the Devil for evil power is not Satanism, it is (in Christian terms)
>witchcraft. (But also not the same thing Wiccans call witchcraft.)

Well, sort of. The real issue is that many or most people talking
about Satanism in the modern day, especially those identifying as
Satanists, use terminology and imagery appropriated from Christian
thought, but use them to mean things entirely different. It's a bit of
a Humpty-Dumpty problem:

"When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean—neither
more nor less."

So does Satanism mean... 1) knowingly consorting with the Evil One
against one's own interests, 2) going over to Satan's side because you
actually believe he's right and God is wrong, or 3) actually just
being an atheist but in an especially edgy way? There's no right
answer, because it means all of those things to different people.

Luke