[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 15 13:33:21 BST 2019

From: "M. Haller Yamada" <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>

Micki: My goodness. Meat without a mother, and if they do vat milk, milk without a kid.?
What's the deal with mixing synthetic fibers? Does that have any bearing, or is
shatnez specific enough that it causes no problems??
The more I think about it, the more I think they'll just choose a different name for
vat meat besides "meat".

Gwynne: We seem to like recognisable terms for major food groups, maybe it's tied
to our programming. At the moment there's a big argument going on about the term
'milk'. Dairy producers want it to mean only dairy. There's almond milk, soy milk, etc -
if they use a recognised term it's easier to sell the product, and people know where it
fits in. 'Soy-based white liquid' just doesn't seem the same.

So I think it's likely, at least at first, that they'd go with 'meat', or 'vat-meat', to
connect it to something safe.

And a long way down the track, vat meat will be the cheap stuff, while real-animal
meat will be incredibly expensive, really high-status.