[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 17:12:18 BST 2019

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 5:19 AM Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> > On Aug 15, 2019, at 1:34 AM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The more I think about it, the more I think they'll just choose a
> different name for
> > vat meat besides "meat".
>
> There are law-suits now about companies using terms like “meat” and “milk”
> as part of names of replacements.

As far as that goes, the language has already evolved once. In English the
word "meat" used to mean simply "food", as in the saying "One man's meat is
another man's poison." If you meant food that came from a dead animal you
had to specify "fleshmeat." Nowadays the definition of "meat" has narrowed,
but whether it's narrowed enough to exclude the lab-grown substance ... ?

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>