[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Aug 15 18:32:54 BST 2019

> On Aug 15, 2019, at 11:21 AM, Margaret Dean <margdean56 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And “corn” meant “grain”.
>>

> In British English, it still does.

One of my favorite word changes is the word “tarmac”.    During the Raid on Entebbe, we heard the BBC mentioning the hostages being lined up on the “tarmac”.   Americans use the word asphalt but never tarmacadam, tar-Macadam, nor even MacAdam road.   So we saw that they were lined up on the airport apron, and inferred its meaning.

I have read novels with space ships landing on the tarmac.   We talk about airplanes taxiing on concrete tarmacs.    I’m curious how much that new word has expanded around the world.