[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Fri Aug 16 23:53:11 BST 2019

How is it not s/f? Besides the fact that the plot is always pure police procedural. She has given a lot of thought to the world of 2060 and how it became that way. She predicted that the crisis era we're in right now would be internal, more like a civil war 21st century style, and there are still old buildings dating back to then. In the very first book she explained why real coffee was so expensive - massive destruction of the coffee growing regions' ecology - and so on and so on.

The only place she falls down s/f-wise is in her description of the off-planet facilities, which in the one visited by Roark and Eve, could just as easily have been a dirtside conference center. Not even a clue as to the safety regulations needed for a habitat, and Olympus Resort is decidedly a habitat. An earlier book described the building of it in, IIRC, low earth orbit. Not to mention in a later book, the prisoner who escaped from a maximum security prison on a distant rock -- and hit the ground running on earth as if the prison has been under full gravity. Not blasted likely!

But her economics and sociology are dead-on. Not to mention the anything-goes mores of times like the 1920s, the 1980s and 1990s, and similar periods. Right on the nose.