[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 22:39:39 BST 2019

On 8/15/2019 8:33 AM, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> At the moment there's a big argument going on about the term
> 'milk'. Dairy producers want it to mean only dairy. There's almond milk, soy milk, etc -
> if they use a recognised term it's easier to sell the product, and people know where it
> fits in. 'Soy-based white liquid' just doesn't seem the same.

The major issue with the Dairy Industry trying to control labeling is
that almond squeezings have been called 'almond milk' for some 800 years
or so that *I* am cognizant of [my hobby is historical cooking so I have
copies of some 40 or so 'cook books' ranging from Imperial Rome through
Elizabethan England,  from as far west as Iceland and as far east as
China.] When the Almond Milk industry can point to it as being referred
to as almond milk for centuries, I don't really forsee a problem, prior
art is a strong influence.

Milk is also used in the cosmetic industry- lait du corps, body milk is
a class of thin milklike or cream [as in moo juice, not ointment] like
liquid used topically. I am sure the cosmetics industry would be more
than happy to tell the dairy industry to pack sand =)

---