[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 22:51:00 BST 2019

On 8/15/2019 2:01 PM, Carol Botteron wrote:
> More varieties of vat meat being developed, ranging from bacon to kangaroo.
> https://www.inverse.com/article/58515-lab-grown-meat-beyond-burgers-the-7-in-vitro-foods-coming-to-plates

<shrug>  I have no problem with the idea at all - I would love to try
some of the exotics as long as the flavor is the same[texture would be a
bonus]

I have figured a way to make clone-surimi - if one takes into account
that it is reasonably easy [for certain values of easy] to clone 2 or 4
cell thick vat protein sheets, I can remember a brand of fake crab legs
that was a sheet of surimi rolled up and dyed pinkish red along one face
to mimic the look of a crab leg. If you clone the sheet of vat krab and
roll it,using 'meat glue' to secure it into the roll, you have
reasonably well emulated a crab leg, or shrimp, or if larger in diameter
or done in layers a lobster tail.

See, there is a class of foods in medieval cooking called a 'warner'
where you make something out of something totally different, I have seen
a filet of fish made of thin slices of cooked egg white stuck together
with more egg white and then poached - then breaded and fried like a
fish fillet. I have also seen a hard boiled egg made of white and yellow
died fish puree molded in blown egg shells =) So why not take advantage
of the textural differences of certain seafoods that don't have a land
based animal muscle and vein structure =) Rob also pointed out that one
might make a reasonable clam or oyster for deep frying by just pureeing
the vat sheets into a slurry - I can remember faux deep fried shrimps
made that way [as well as fish sticks molded from slurry then breaded
and fried]

---