[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 01:25:47 BST 2019

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 17:14:45 +0000, "Parish, James" <jparish at siue.edu>
wrote:

>Howard Brazee wrote:
>> It’s funny that fish flesh isn’t considered “meat” by many.
>

>There's an old idiom: "neither fish, flesh, nor fowl". (Apparently
>there's an even older one, from which it's derived: "neither fish,
>flesh, nor good red herring", which makes less sense to me; on the other
>hand, I once heard someone actually say the latter.)

Fish was eaten by the clergy, flesh by the rich and the dried and smoked
herrings by the poor. So this list of the foods eaten by all classes of
society was a metaphor for 'encompassing all eventualities'.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/red-herring.html
--
You know it's a good party when you have to clean yogurt off someone's hat
  - Mel Rimmer