[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 01:31:58 BST 2019

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 11:32:54 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> On Aug 15, 2019, at 11:21 AM, Margaret Dean <margdean56 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And “corn” meant “grain”.
>>>

>> In British English, it still does.
>
>One of my favorite word changes is the word “tarmac”.    During the Raid on Entebbe, we heard the BBC mentioning the hostages being lined up on the “tarmac”.   Americans use the word asphalt but never tarmacadam, tar-Macadam, nor even MacAdam road.   So we saw that they were lined up on the airport apron, and inferred its meaning.
>
>I have read novels with space ships landing on the tarmac.   We talk about airplanes taxiing on concrete tarmacs.    I’m curious how much that new word has expanded around the world.

Asphalt is not tarmac.  Indeed, most "tarmac" isn't tarmac (as that's
registered trademark of Tarmac).

Tarmac is not often used now, in fact.  What's called "asphalt" is
actually asphalt concrete, an macadamised surface using asphalt instead
of tar - often known as "Bitmec" in the UK, as we tend to call it
bitumen rather than asphalt.

I have a friend who is a civil engineer for the roads department.  Can
you tell?

--
You know it's a good party when you have to clean yogurt off someone's hat
  - Mel Rimmer