[LMB] was: Language

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 01:39:43 BST 2019


On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 23:26:37 +0000, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com>
wrote:

>Try "Good King Wenceslas"

Also fits the a cappella parts of "Gaudete".
>________________________________
>From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net>
>Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 5:19 PM
>To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold. <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: [LMB] was: Language
>
>Which carol?
>Karen A. Wyle
>    On Friday, August 16, 2019, 07:16:49 PM EDT, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:
>
> And in another vein, one of the chants in the Carmina Burana scans to a well-known Christmas carol!
>
>"Ave formosissima, gemma pretiosa,
> Ave decus virginum, virgo gloriosa,
> Ave mundi luminar, ave mundi rosa,
> Blanzifor et Helena, Venus generosa!"
>
>Try it and see!
>
>________________________________
>From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of Rebecca Price <becca7108 at gmail.com>
>Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 11:53 AM
>To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold. <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: [LMB] was: Language
>
>Another good one is Jabberwocky, by Louis Carroll.
>
>On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 1:51 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Once at a Demicon, I was half-jingled on the very good beer in the
>> consuite, and started doing classical poetry in rap style.  A friend of
>> mine likes to tell about how she wandered in, and there I was doing Edgar
>> Allan Poe's "The Raven."  What struck her was not only that I was doing it
>> rap-style, but that I clearly had the whole poem so memorized that I could
>> do it even when lit up like a Christmas tree.  Another favorite for this is
>> the opening stanzas of "The Song of Hiawatha."
>>
>>
>>
>--
>Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to mathews55 at msn.com
>Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
>http://lists.herald.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold
>--
>Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to kawyle at att.net
>Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
>http://lists.herald.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold
>
>--
>Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to mathews55 at msn.com
>Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
>http://lists.herald.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lois-bujold
--
success, n. The one unpardonable sin against one's fellows. (Ambrose Bierce)


More information about the Lois-Bujold mailing list