[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

catherine muir c_muir68 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 19 10:10:37 BST 2019

Oddly enough, I had never heard "neither fish, flesh nor fowl", but both my parents used " neither fish, flesh nor good red herring" as a description of anything not falling neatly into a category.

On 19 Aug 2019 01:25, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 17:14:45 +0000, "Parish, James" <jparish at siue.edu>
wrote:

>Howard Brazee wrote:
>> It’s funny that fish flesh isn’t considered “meat” by many.
>

>There's an old idiom: "neither fish, flesh, nor fowl". (Apparently
>there's an even older one, from which it's derived: "neither fish,
>flesh, nor good red herring", which makes less sense to me; on the other
>hand, I once heard someone actually say the latter.)

Fish was eaten by the clergy, flesh by the rich and the dried and smoked
herrings by the poor. So this list of the foods eaten by all classes of
society was a metaphor for 'encompassing all eventualities'.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/red-herring.html
--
You know it's a good party when you have to clean yogurt off someone's hat
  - Mel Rimmer
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to c_muir68 at hotmail.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk