[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 15:48:42 BST 2019

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 8:33 AM Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:

> No!! Many runways are portland cement concrete because of the loads that
> they must sustain, but aprons and taxiways are almost always tarmac. And
> tarmac MAY be registered in the UK (but I doubt it) but it certainly not
> registered elsewhere.

I'm afraid that doesn't seem to be correct.

https://aerosavvy.com/aviation-terminology/

"Tarmac (short for tarmacadam) is a road surface material patented in
1901 in the UK. ... It’s essentially crushed rock mixed with cement
then sealed with tar. By today’s standards, it’s a very crude surface
and could never handle a heavy aircraft. Tarmac has not been used as
an airport surface material for decades."

Perhaps you are thinking of asphalt concrete, the substance which is
also frequently (if inexactly) called "tarmac." That substance is in
fact used on various airport aprons, not to mention many roads.

Luke