[LMB] OT: Pavement

Carol Botteron cjbotteron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 19:03:23 BST 2019

Since we have at least one pavement expert on the list:  In Syracuse, NY,
in the 1950s, the roads near us were topped with asphalt.  On hot days this
would bubble up in bubbles nearly an inch across, with water in them.  As a
small child (curious in more than one way) I enjoyed popping these.  The
resulting mess on my skin and clothing had to be cleaned up with kerosene.
My parents said the roads were done with cheap postwar materials, but I
never found out what the exact problem was.