[LMB] was: Language Now Vat Meat Ethics

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 01:16:26 BST 2019

On 8/19/2019 1:47 PM, I wrote:
> On 20/08/2019 2:49 am, Aruvqan wrote:
>> Due dilligence, read the freaking ingredients if you have allergies.
>

> Really? You check the label of every carton of milk, stick of butter
> and beef steak you buy? How about Chicken pieces? Prawns or fillets of
> white fish? How about bags of potatoes? Unprocessed items don't
> require ingredient lists in Australia, and labeling in a misleading
> manner is illegal by way of trade.  We are talking here of products
> that have been found in the Australian High Court to have been
> marketed in be mistaken for something else. Milk, containing soy milk
> or almond milk, would be illegal to sell as milk in Australia as it
> has been adulterated. You could sell it as a mixed dairy and vegetable
> oil product, but it would need to be clearly marked and not stocked
> beside the real milk. Margarines and olive oil spreads are likewise
> not sold as "butter", and nut butters are sold in a different part of
> the store/supermarket.
>
> I have several life threatening allergies, a number of minor
> allergies, and a selection of intolerances. I carry my pen when out,
> and ask pointed questions of the kitchen. On the other hand, I don't
> look for ingredient lists for products that shouldn't have them. I've
> never checked an apple for the presence of egg.
>
> Iestyn

Well, if a hunk of dead cow had a label other than identifying which cut
of beef it was, I would - but yes, I double check pretty much everything
- I have actually found palm oil as a texturizer in 'coffee cream'
minitubs [you know, mini moo, or whatever brands are available wherever
you happen to be, there are about 6 brands of shelf stable and
refrigerated single portion creamers on the market here in the US] and
just because food labeling is done one way on the other side of the
globe it does not mean it is done that way here. Margarine and other non
butter spreads are sold as spreads [one of the more interesting product
names is 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter', though we also have Shedd
Spread, you don't run across a generic brick labeled 'margarine', it has
product names. Butter is about the only thing you will find in a brick
labeled butter, though it will have a manufacturer prominantly
displayed, such as Land o'Lakes. ] You will not find cows milk with a
non cows milk milk added, or at least in some 45 or so years of grocery
shopping, working in a professional kitchen and at US Foodservice
selling food professionally I have never seen a carton/bag/bottle of
milk [cow, 0, 1, 2 or 4 percent dairy fat] sold as a beverage or cooking
ingredient that had almond, coconut, oat, cashew or soy blended. Perhaps
they have it down under, I could chat with my ex roomie who emmigrated
to Perth and ask her.

Don't be silly - single ingredient items by definition can't be
adulterated [unless you want to consider the wax coating on apples an
ingredient, or the gentle addition of pesticides that may be on the
surface or in the little plant vessicles as an ingredient. I do have
friends who are careful because of a sulphite sensitivity and they
dislike the habit of food waxing.] But by all means, do whatever you
like. Having worked in food service, I do recognize that formularies
change, companies change ingredients to reflect the cost of ingredients,
and some morons figure people will buy any food with the magic words
'palm oil' or whatever miracle ingredient is being touted by the woo
merchants and will add or change out ingredients accordingly. Palm oil
was used in the *mozarella* cheese in the pizza rolls so it would melt
faster/more evenly. I personally think if something is labeled as
cheese, it should be nothing but congealed milk [dairy or other] but I
also understand modifying ingredients to manipulate them for product
purposes.

---