[LMB] Fwd: What makes a character irredeemable?

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 19:11:12 BST 2019

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 10:52 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kind of like how the Principate formed in Rome after about a century or so
> of civil war after civil war showed that the Roman republican system, while
> just fine for a city state and okay for a city state that happened to
> control a chunk of Italy, wouldn't work for a Mediterranean-controlling
> world power.

Yeah, but a strong case can be made that the Roman Empire was an inherently
bad idea.  Many historians (particularly British ones, who for complex
cultural reasons saw themselves as the heirs to that empire) have tended to
view it as a self-evident good.  But it clearly prevented various goods,
while its rather limited actual benefits could have been accomplished in
other ways.  Some insist that the period after its fall, sometimes called
the "Dark Ages", weren't as 'Dark' as all that, while I consider the Dark
Ages to have begun when Rome conquered Athens.

If the entire galaxy were conquered and made into copies of Beta Colony,
would that be a good or a bad thing?

Matt G.