[LMB] Pronunciation of Lady Alys' name

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 20:42:41 BST 2019

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 15:12:27 -0400, Fred Smith
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 06:05:35PM +0000, Harvey Fishman wrote:
>>
>> I've always pronounced it as Alice and I figured that Lois was just
>> punning.
>
>in fact I've seen Alys used contemporarily. given that so many
>parents have this thing for odd spellings of common names I never
>thought of it being anything but "Alice".

I have a great-niece called Alys.  Her parents are Norman re-enactors
and it's a nice French name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alys

Look who's 8th?

They pronounce it like "a lease", with the stress on the second
syllable.
--
"I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when they're
writing on a subject I know something about." (Keith F. Lynch)