[LMB] Fwd: What makes a character irredeemable?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Wed Aug 21 07:32:39 BST 2019

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 09:51:39PM -0500, Eric Oppen wrote:
> Of course, we can also get into the question of what constitutes evil.
> Over on TV Tropes (beware, it will SUCK YOUR BRAIN IN!) there's a trope
> called "Rooting for the Empire," which addresses this.  If we go by what we
> see in the movies, there's a case to be made for the Empire.  The Galactic
> Republic was sclerotic and too big for its own good.
>
> Kind of like how the Principate formed in Rome after about a century or so
> of civil war after civil war showed that the Roman republican system, while
> just fine for a city state and okay for a city state that happened to
> control a chunk of Italy, wouldn't work for a Mediterranean-controlling
> world power.

It's not like they tried extending the government.  The pre-Augustinian
'Republic' was an empire run by the city government of Rome, in much the
same way that the British empire was run by a democracy limited to Great
Britain.  Unless you were a male citizen who lived close enough to Rome
to show up for assemblies, you lost exactly zero political
representation in the switch to the Principate.

The early US, which stretched a federal representative democracy inland
across 800x1000 miles with worse roads than the Rommans had, was a
completely different beast.  Just the idea of a representative
legislature is revolutionary.  (Not that we invented it, it grew out of
a lot of medieval precedent and Parliament, but we sure elevated it.)

The Galactic Republic is another thing again.  Probably most like a UN
with a bit more teeth.

-xx- Damien X-)