[LMB] Pronunciation of Lady Alys' name

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 10:09:01 BST 2019

From: Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 06:05:35PM +0000, Harvey Fishman wrote:
> I've always pronounced it as Alice and I figured that Lois was just
> punning.

in fact I've seen Alys used contemporarily. given that so many
parents have this thing for odd spellings of common names I never
thought of it being anything but "Alice".
> Harvey

Gwynne: Ohhhh the parents who think it's fun to give a child an odd
spelling for their name. Jak will spend the rest of his life saying 'There's
no 'c' in it.', Zakk will always have to spell the name out. Afrodity will
have the same problem.

Then there's Anjanette, Tatham, Cyan and so many more.... Years of
teaching leave their mark.