[LMB] Dark Ages [not], was, What makes ...

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Wed Aug 21 15:53:43 BST 2019

The study of medieval technical innovations - and they were many - is a fascinating field in itself. One of the stories in a 1632 anthology - by David Brin - had a village from 1632 transposed 1st Century AD Rome, and Brin expected the gunpowder weapons of the 17th century folk to wow the Romans with how advanced they were. When actually, the public baths and huge civil engineering projects and comfortable villas with central heating (did anybody ever rediscover and use the hypocaust?) and indoor plumbing would have blown away the Early Moderns with *their* level of advancement.

And of course, Brin assumes that technical advancements would be the criteria everyone would use, whereas I'm sure religious matters would mean a lot more to 17th Century people than he can possibly think. But the educated ones would expect that - and might even set out to bring The True Faith to an  officially polytheist, polyglot empire. Now, there would be a story worth writing.