[LMB] OT: cave diving

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 16:24:03 BST 2019

From: "A. Marina Fournier" <saffronrose at me.com>

Knowing your limits, and accepting them, is another requirement.
For me, it is not heights alone which scare me: it?s the *falling from* them that does. Parachuting and paragliding epitomize the situation in which I hope never to be. Unfortunately, I fall more often?tripping over something or due to vertigo or other loss of balance. I didn?t like it when I was young, but now it carries additional penalties.

Gwynne: I'm not good with heights. Due to balance issues, I can't get past
the first step on a stepladder without serious palpitations. (When I had to
climb up on desks in the classroom to hang artwork, I did it - because I had
to. But I'd be really shaky until I got one finger touching the string that I was
hanging the artwork on. I just need that point to give me balance. I also loved
my extension-gripper-stick-thingy, it's AWESOME for getting artwork up onto
the strings.

When I climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the first section of the climb is
a walk along a pathway slung under the bridge, many metres above the
ground and then the water. I did that part with my eyes closed.

But when I went up in a hot-air balloon, expecting to spend the whole flight
with my eyes shut - it was AWESOME!  I was looking right down over the side
of the basket and loving every moment, watching everything with no problems
at all. I have no idea why the hot-air balloon was so wonderful, when normally
heights make me freeze, or shake. Was it the silence? Or just the sense of
one-ness with the air?