[LMB] OT: cave diving

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 19:03:14 BST 2019

From: Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 11:24 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:
> ... But I'd be really shaky until I got one finger touching the string
> that I was
> hanging the artwork on. I just need that point to give me balance. I...
>
> But when I went up in a hot-air balloon, expecting to spend the whole
> flight
> with my eyes shut - it was AWESOME!  I was looking right down over the side
> of the basket and loving every moment, watching everything with no problems
> at all. I have no idea why the hot-air balloon was so wonderful, when
> normally
> heights make me freeze, or shake. Was it the silence? Or just the sense of
> one-ness with the air?

Did you have both hands on the side of the basket? Not a death-grip, just
for balance.
That would probably anchor you enough to trick your brain into thinking you
are securely planted, no panic needed.
Sylvia
who touches the wall when walking in a narrow space.
I thought I was the only one.

Gwynne: Yes, but the basket was moving. And when I look down from on high I
generally get the full shaky experience - I did on the bridge, and you're tied to it.
Although the bridge was better once we left the bit slung underneath, went
through the road level, and climbed the span. Partly because I could focus just on
what was in front of me when I needed to, partly because I could look up and out
rather than down, and partly because I told myself to stop wussing and enjoy the
damn thing. But the balloon was pure joy the whole time. And I deliberately looked
right down. Amazing.