[LMB] Dark Ages [not], was, What makes ...

Richard Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Thu Aug 22 20:35:42 BST 2019

 I had considered having a violence -filled dark age, but on second thought I saw that wasn't very possible.

#1: The population of the colony was spread over a huge range; except for the Capitol city the population density was very low. Most of the population was scattered into small enclaves - Farming station, mines, or such. The largest town had perhaps 1200 people; and the clusters of people were very distant from each other.

#2: People knew that active warfare was a losing proposition; too many people were dying from natural causes; increasing that rate would lead to obliteration. Most fights were exchanges of insults and rocks; with little bloodshed.

#3: Prior to the first solar flare (The first year of fire), everyone had local computer system that stored most of the contents of Terran's Libraries. Public libraries existed, mandated by the colonization agreements; so the classics of literature were easily available. The engineering and science libraries weren't in paper form, so printing them out became a survival act.
#4: A silent agreement was formed after a few incidents of "If we can't have it, nobody can" - such folk were shunned or hunted down with no mercy. The libraries were critical to the survival of the Colony; a threat to them was a threat against everyone. These people weren't stupid; cooperation was a critical survival trait.
 Stupidity was a capital offense; the sentence was executed without rancor or mercy.

    On Thursday, August 22, 2019, 11:00:03 AM CDT, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

 On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 12:00:47AM +0000, Richard Molpus wrote:
>  In my ongoing series "Random Facts about Vorhartung Castle", or "What happens when you set a group of Grad Students to the task of writing a new guidebook for the place?" (1), one thing I have happen when the (smarter) colonists discover that the wormhole is closed is they start printing every text they have. Paper can survive longer than electronics; doesn't need power to be read, and (at the time) multiple copies can be made easily.

Printing as much as you can is totally sensible.

However, given the breakdown into violence at some point, I wouldn't be
surprised if fighting over such archives, or over still-working
computers, was a focal point of violence.  Including destroying them on
the grounds of "we may be losing but we can deny them to the enemy."