[LMB] Odd question - Barrayaran classic literature

Pat Mathews MATHEWS55 at msn.com
Fri Aug 23 01:03:03 BST 2019

A play which will be showing at a local playhouse - "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime", which I have a ticket for, reminded me of something in GJ&RQ. Before Jole's affair with Cordelia became known, he had been known as "The dog who did nothing in the nighttime." A reference which totally baffled Cordelia. Inference: Barrayarans have read Sherlock Holmes stories. Betans have not.  Any comments on that one?

Also, it's well known that Barrayarans are familiar with the works of Shakespeare. Miles' obsession with Richard III was not lost on Gregor, Duv Galeni, or I'm sure, Simon Illyan. Just out of curiosity, do you think Illyan was tempted to pull the plug on Miles more than the two times we know about? The first one being when he came home trailing the Dendarii Mercenaries behind him; the other, in Memory, where Illyan had no choice after what Miles had pulled.

Which, of course, opened the door to Impsec's Iago slipping his leash. I wonder if Cordelia would have recognized the reference I just dropped? Interesting speculation to while away the idle minutes.