[LMB] Vat Meat Ethics (WAS: Language)

James M. BRYANT G4CLF james at jbryant.eu
Sun Aug 25 14:07:46 BST 2019

Howard wrote:
 > It's funny that fish flesh isn't considered "meat" by many.

Jim responded:-
 > There's an old idiom: "neither fish, flesh, nor fowl". (Apparently
 > there's an even older one, from which it's derived: "neither fish,
 > flesh, nor good red herring", which makes less sense to me; on the
 > other hand, I once heard someone actually say the latter.)

According to Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring> a
red herring is something that misleads or distracts from a relevant
or important question.

I suspect that differentiating fish and herring comes from the Viking
influence on English - the Scandinavian languages distinguish between
fish as a generic, and herring, which is an important staple of the
Scandinavian diet. Of course all fish species have names but in
general a Scandinavian (IIRC) would not use "fish" to refer to
herring.

James - who does not consider he has arrived in a Nordic country
until he has had raw/marinaded herring for breakfast

---
https://www.avg.com