[LMB] Pronunciation of Lady Alys' name

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Mon Aug 26 22:37:25 BST 2019

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
> The Greek women’s names, such as Daphne, Phryne, Zoë, Chloë—does anyone
> name a daughter Mnemosyne?—and other which neither spring to or from my
> mind right now, can be problematic outside Greek-speaking lands and
> communities.

The Canadian jazz quartet led by saxophonist Mike Murley and pianist David
Braid released an album entitled _Mnemosyne's March_ a few years ago:

https://jazz.fm/51517-2/
"Mnemosyne was the mother of the Muses in Greek mythology, who were the
inspirational goddesses of literature, science and the arts. The
connection and inspiration is no accident; Braid’s music and music-making
is studied, inspired, charismatic, exploratory and adventurous."

https://mikemurley.com/press/mnemosynes-march/

https://www.cornerstonerecordsinc.com/pages/cat128.html

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.
-- Toni Morrison