[LMB] [LidlessEye] Deluxe Lutefisk Pineapple Pizza

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue Aug 27 02:47:28 BST 2019

On Aug 26, 2019, at 7:43 PM, J Woodruff <profjenn12 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> the name is a reference to the banner of Norman Arminger - the big bad
>>> villain of the first few Dies the Fire books
>>>
>> Ah, I see. It made me think of Sauron ... but apparently I was in the wrong
>> series.
>
> You're not in the wrong series. IIRC, Sauron was Arminger's inspiration.

Well, and Stirling lampshades it -- at some point some of the good guys are incredulous that any villain would be so blatantly and ostentatiously evil as to choose Sauron's banner for himself.

(See https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LampshadeHanging/Literature if you're not familiar with lampshading.)

Katherine