[LMB] TSK

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 12:33:18 BST 2019

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:18 AM Sharon Micenko <wembleyware at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > You can gain a lot comparing the details with real-life Midwestern maps
> and
> > histories, but it's important to remember that just because the bones are
> > shaped like the US and the larger behaviors of people match the US
> Midwest,
> > that doesn't make this 1000 years from now in the real-life world.
> >
> > Ogachi is located about where Chicago would have been (and its name is
> made
> > of the same letters - only missing a C). Locations of
> > iron/coal/copper/lantern oil etc roughly match where they've been found
> in
> > the US as well.
> >
> > But magic is real, and the history is very different. Also, migration of
> > farmers is coming from the south instead of the east. Also, the Hardboil
> > River, roughly matching the Tennessee River, has been re-routed to empty
> > into the Mississippi River instead of the Ohio River (important for one
> of
> > the later stories).
> >
> I’d figured out from the firefly scene and others that they weren’t just
> ordinary people 1000 years from now, but it gives a reasonable impression
> of the climate and vegetation and things like that.

Which actually gets to something I really enjoyed doing when reading the
tales: they don't have time tracking in terms of weeks/months, but by
seasons. Watching the flowers and fruits and geese and frogs and fireflies
and grains and the Grace/Ohio all do the right things in their right
seasons was a big pleasure.

Karen Hunt