[LMB] O.G. Rappers OT:

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 27 17:48:14 BST 2019

From: Luke Bretscher <rocketman0739 at gmail.com>

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 8:29 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've referenced The Man From Snowy River here a few times. And probably
> Clancy of the Overflow as well. But here's another from Banjo Paterson:
> (This one is particularly good to read aloud, with great verve and emphasis.
> And, at the right moment, yelling.)
> The Man from Ironbark

That's a good one! Here's a poem that I especially like, not least
because it expresses an early-20th-century optimism about technology
that we seem to have lost today. Not without plenty of reason, to be
sure, but it's still fascinating to put oneself in a mind to consider
technology as unambiguously pro-humanitarian. And even from today's
perspective, there are plenty of far less admirable technologies than
hydroelectric power.
THE POWER PLANT - by Berton Braley

Gwynne: Ohh I like that one. Especially the last verse, which could have a
very triumphant, optimistic tone, or almost a threatening one. Nicely
ambiguous.