[LMB] TSK

Lois Aleta Fundis loisaletafundis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 23:09:48 BST 2019

Some of Karen's suggestions may require fiurther emendation for those
listies who are not from the US:

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 4:46 PM Gretchen Wright <gretchen.m.wright at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'll put a few more under spoiler space in case Sharon finds it more fun to
> find them herself.
> Don't
> scroll
> down
> unless
> you
> want
> read
> my maunderings
> I mean
> really
> really
> want
> mean
>  it
>
> The bluegrass place where one goes to get horses

That would be Kentucky, nicknamed the Bluegrass State.

> Tripoint = where steel products come from, Pittsburgh is the confluence of
> three rivers and has Three Rivers Stadium named after that fact

Well, we *did*.   :-(   It was demolished several years ago after new
stadiums were built for the baseball and football teams (Pirates and
Steelers).  The city is still nicknamed the Steel City, although the steel
industry in these parts is much diminished, and a popular local brand of
beer was named for that nickname's predecessor: Iron City Beer, which used
to be a major radio and TV sponsor of the two above-mentioned teams. The
new ballpark has its charms, but I have many wonderful memories of Three
Rivers Stadium.

Both Lois Bujold and yours truly have family from the Pittsburgh area, and
even now I only live about 35 or 40 miles (about 60 km) from downtown
Pittsburgh, also known as "the Point" or the Golden Triangle because it is
shaped like a triangle at the point where the Allegheny River and
Monongahela River meet to form the Ohio River, aka Green River in the TSK
and its sequels.  So I was very happy when "Tripoint" appeared in the
story. There is very little left, though, from the era when it would have
been Tripoint in that universe, which is just one thing that makes me think
of it as an alternate universe that has many (not so?) coincidental
similarities with ours.

> watch for a wolverine and a buckeye to make an appearance

Again: Wolverines (similar to badgers) are the state animal and official
symbol of the US state of Michigan, and of their major university, the
University of Michigan.  Buckeye is a species of tree, which grows nuts
that look a bit like the eye of a buck (male deer); they are the official
tree and symbol of the state of Ohio and its major university, which now
proclaims itself "The Ohio State University", insisting on the capitalized
"The," and which also uses the buckeye as its symbol.  Many people just
call it OSU, though, and Lois B. is an alumna of it; her father was a
professor there.  Those two universities are huge rivals, by the way!

[Yours truly is an alumna -- double, actually, Bachelor's and Master;s
degrees -- of the University of Pittsburgh.  We may not be as large as OSU
or the University of Michigan, but we're older (the school from which it
evolved was founded in the 1780s) and our campus's main building, the
Cathedral of Learning, is taller, at 42 stories, or storeys if you like,
than any building they have.]

Don't