[LMB] different reactions to different series

nyxpyx at use.startmail.com nyxpyx at use.startmail.com
Wed Aug 28 03:02:28 BST 2019

> From: alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
>
> It's interesting how different our reactions can be to Lois'
> different
> series -- and the reasons why.
>
> For example, Lois has said that some people bounced off the romance
> in
> TSK, whereas I quite enjoyed that aspect of the books.
>
> (snip)
> But YMMV. Are there aspects of this series or other of Lois' series
> that work for you or don't?
Good timing! You posted this just as I was catching up on a backlog of
digests and remembering how I bounced off TSK *so* hard.

I haven't had much time to post in the last few years; I mostly lurk
nowadays. But I've read all the comments and discussion, and I always
marvel at the depth of meaning and nuance and connections that other
people can see in TSK.

The sense of landscape was powerful and effective–such a contrast to
the stereotypical pseudo-Northern European fantasy world. But I never
loved the characters or got caught up in the plot. In the Vorkosigan
and 5 Gods stories there's always some beautifully crafted phrase or
idea that has moved me. I've read Ista's conversation with the Father
in PoS probably more than 20 times, and it still makes me tear up. Even
The Spirit Ring ended up seizing my imagination eventually. But only
twice in the whole 4-book TSK series did I feel any emotional
involvement, and that was just two individual scenes. Romance per se is
fine–I'm generally happy with the way Lois entwines it with character
development and plot. I just couldn't get invested in Fawn or Dag or
their world.

It could be that a re-read would make me like it better–that worked for
The Spirit Ring. But I've already gone through the series twice: once
when it came out and once for the initial discussion, and the thought
of reading it a third time feels like an unpleasant task I'd have to
force myself to do.

In fact, if there's someone on the list who couldn't afford the books
and wants them, please contact me off list and I will send you the
first four in hardback. I'd rather give them away than have them taking
up room on my shelves, unloved.

Irene

(sorry if this appears twice, I had some kind of error on the first
send)