[LMB] Jossed/JRRM

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 20:40:46 BST 2019

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 2:59 PM Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> GRRM.  Dude's named George.
>
> I don't see that there would be all that much difference.  Ms. Bujold has
> no shortage of shocking, emotionally-wrenching deaths.

I don't know about that...it seems to me there are many more
surprising deaths in GRRM than in Bujold. SPOILERS of course, but...

...in the SOIAF, the deaths of Ned and everyone at the Red Wedding
were not out of nowhere when you apply hindsight, but they were
extremely shocking because the characters didn't seem to be done with
their story arcs. Of course, they were perforce done with the arcs,
but it still felt much more jarring (though not sadder) than something
like the death of Aral, which we all knew had to happen at some point.
The most surprising Bujold death I can think of is Teidez.

Luke