[LMB] Jossed/JRRM

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Fri Aug 30 00:10:19 BST 2019

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 02:40:46PM -0500, Luke Bretscher wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 2:59 PM Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > GRRM.  Dude's named George.
> >
> > I don't see that there would be all that much difference.  Ms. Bujold has
> > no shortage of shocking, emotionally-wrenching deaths.
>
> I don't know about that...it seems to me there are many more
> surprising deaths in GRRM than in Bujold. SPOILERS of course, but...
>
> ...in the SOIAF, the deaths of Ned and everyone at the Red Wedding
> were not out of nowhere when you apply hindsight, but they were
> extremely shocking because the characters didn't seem to be done with
> their story arcs. Of course, they were perforce done with the arcs,
> but it still felt much more jarring (though not sadder) than something
> like the death of Aral, which we all knew had to happen at some point.
> The most surprising Bujold death I can think of is Teidez.

Bothari. Especially if you've read both Cordelia books first, you're
pretty used to him. Then bam, dead. For reasons that make sense, like
the Stark deaths, but still.

Not quite the loss of a POV character like Nedd or Catelyn, but you need
a multiple viewpoint book to pull that off. Lois has written those but
mostly for romances.