[LMB] OT: Why, oh why do woman mystery story writers seem to be obsessed with clothes???

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 1 18:25:03 GMT 2019

"A. Marina Fournier" <saffronrose at me.com> wrote:
> Aside from when I want to fancy up, when I need a bit of barrier or
> mental reinforcement for some meeting or event, the makeup goes on:
> it's armor--and this phrase "ar mor", is Breton for "the sea"

For me, dressing up doesn't feel like putting on a layer of protection;
it feels like a sham, pretending to be something that I'm not,
in a painfully obvious way.  My body is weird, and I know it, and
putting fancy clothes on just emphasizes it.  (I'm not quite as short
as Miles, nor do I have the deformations, but it wouldn't take much
for me to portray his later-life self.  Including the limp, dammit.)
But if it works for you...  Last night, I was pleased to stumble over
a YouTube video of a production of the musical "La Cage Aux Folles",
and you're reminding me of "A Little More Mascara".

I'd been looking for a video recording of "La Cage Aux Folles" for many
years.  It was transformational for me, when I saw it in my early 20s.
My boss had a couple of tickets that he wasn't able to use, so gave
them to the students in his lab.  I was a bit dubious about going to
see it, given what I'd heard about it: The Gay Stuff.  I was familiar
only with the stereotypes, and even the one gay guy I knew (so far
as I knew) seemed to live up to them: the exaggerated mannerisms.
I'd heard about the "bath houses" and such.  But the musical "opened my
eyes", to use the phrase from it.  I was seeing a *family*, no weirder
than any other family one might see in a musical comedy.  They were
in a long-term monogamous relationship, rather than the promiscuity
that I'd heard about.  They had problems that were strange to me, but
which stemmed from other people's ignorance and prejudice... which I
knew about from other contexts.  In an odd way, that musical made gay
people seem less "other" to me.

Joel