[LMB] OT: Why, oh why do woman mystery story writers seem to be obsessed with clothes???

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 01:58:25 GMT 2019

On 11/26/2019 5:43 PM, Raymond Collins wrote:
> Clothing is a language.  In Europe and Great Britain during the renaissance
> people were forced to dress by their status,  thus if you were a merchant
> you couldn't dress like a noble. And certain colours (or color. My
> spellcheck was on UK mode) were forbidden. This was a time when commen
> masses were getting rich. And had money to spend on clothes.
> You could call it dress censorship.

Stumptuary laws unofficially still exist - try being black and dressing
stylishly for the black neighborhood and drive a mercedes or lexus in a
predominately white area, you will get stopped for 'driving while black'
and investigated for possibly having stolen the car. read the red carpet
runway reports of how the actors/musicians are dressed and you will hear
all sorts of discussions about minutiae of clothing, and see how the
designers end up making colors popular [pink is the new black, or don't
wear white after labor day or you have to wear white for a wedding - but
you can't wear white denim, you might be a redneck, or white spandex,
you might be a ghetto tramp ...]

Think about Eric Oppen's father - he had to dress in a suit as a lawyer,
he would have been at issue if he had dared wear jeans and a patchwork
vest even just to the office let alone court.

[currently working on a new elizabethan gown to replace the one that
went up in flames, going to be a nice heavy richly colored broadcloth as
I am portraying a well off middle class woman *not* from London =)
roughly 1530-60ish, has to depend on what fabrics I can find and in what
colors <thinking of a good burgundy, or perhaps a dark true green>]